Please check Class Schedule for date, times and instructor.
Pre-registration is required for all classes. For more information or to verify class availability, e-mail Lou Ann at click to send mail or call 319-396-3310 and leave a message.
Before registering for an agility class, please review the Prerequisites for the class in order to ensure the class is appropriate for you and your dog.
Also, please read the Frequently Asked Questions for more information.
Description: Beginning Agility is a basic introduction to all agility obstacles. Dogs work on leash for most of the obstacles. The class will begin by doing one obstacle at a time while focusing on basic skills needed to run agility. Sequences of obstacles will be added slowly throughout the course.
Core skills: By the end of the 6-week course, the dog should have these core skills:
- A-frame at lowered height (50% of regulation height)
- Teeter at low height
- Channel weave poles with offset of 4 spaces and guide wires
- Familiarity with the other obstacles found on AKC or NADAC agility courses (tunnels, table, chute, dog walk, tire, broad jump, jumps at low height, etc.)
Ground work exercises: Ground work is important for the beginning agility dog as these exercises lay a foundation for more advanced agility work to come. Ground work exercises included in the training will be:
- Attention-getting exercises
- Dog learns to move beside you from obstacle to obstacle
- Dog learns to go to target
- Dog learns to go ahead of you over a small jump
- Dog can turn (or spin) to follow your hand
- 2-on, 2-off on contact pieces (will be taught but handler may choose whether to use this)
- Age 6 months or older
- Basic obedience skills - come (recall), sit, down, stay (can be on leash)
- Friendly around other dogs
Cost: $85.00 non-members (eligible for $10 Coupon), $63.75 members
Location: 4RK9's [map]
If you are interested in teaching or assisting in a class, contact click to send mail.